WARNING- Never Give Chocolate To Your Dog

When people overeat chocolate, they may get stomach aches, but dogs are more likely to suffer severe responses to this delectable indulgence. Chocolate should never be given to any of our four-legged pals. But what does chocolate to do dogs?

Is Chocolate Bad For Dogs Health?

Due to the presence of theobromine and, to a lesser degree, caffeine, chocolate is considered to be poisonous for dogs. Theobromine is metabolized rather readily in humans but not in dogs. Theobromine and caffeine are processed more slowly in dogs, which results in a buildup of these poisonous substances in their bodies and the manifestation of clinical symptoms associated with chocolate poisoning.

But not all chocolates are created equal regarding their potential for poisoning. A dog consuming chocolate might experience various side effects depending on the kind of chocolate it ingests. For example, baker’s chocolate and cocoa are believed to be the most poisonous types of chocolate, followed by dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate in that order.

Because chocolate poisoning in dogs is so frequent, the Merck Veterinary Manual includes a chocolate toxicity meter that you may use to detect whether or not your dog has taken a toxic quantity of chocolate. Chocolate toxicity can be caused by overeating chocolate.

Why Is Chocolate Bad For Health? The Biological Reaction

Chocolate shouldn’t be given to dogs in any form since it is loaded with two methylxanthine chemicals called theobromine and caffeine.

The danger posed by theobromine to dogs is far greater than that posed by caffeine, yet both are dangerous. Because dogs cannot metabolize these molecules as quickly as humans can, they accumulate in their bodies, leading to the clinical indications of chocolate poisoning.

Some sugar-free chocolate kinds and candies are sweetened with a chemical called xylitol, which is equally hazardous to dogs. Dogs should not consume these chocolates or sweets.

Suppose the dog has not consumed a quantity of chocolate that is considered to be toxic. In that case, a veterinarian may advise you to induce vomiting at home, and long term effects of dog eating chocolate is 4-6 hours.

Suppose the dog has consumed a quantity of chocolate that may be considered poisonous during the last one to two hours. In that case, your veterinarian will urge you to induce vomiting at home or bring the pet into the clinic so that vomiting can be induced there.

The objective is to have the patient throw up as rapidly as possible. Once two hours have passed, vomiting will likely be ineffective in treating toxicity since the toxin will have already reached the bloodstream.

Your veterinarian will thoroughly examine your pet’s history to ascertain whether or not it has come into contact with any potentially hazardous materials, such as garbage, cocoa shell yard mulch, or other potentially dangerous materials, as well as whether or not there is another underlying cause of the symptoms. A thorough physical examination helps arrive at a diagnosis.

A blood analysis (including a complete blood cell count and chemistry) and a urinalysis are helpful diagnostic tools for determining the presence of illness or organ failure. Electrocardiography, sometimes known as an EKG, is a test that may identify irregular cardiac rhythms and conditions. Radiographs may help determine whether or not the symptoms have another explanation.

Signs Of Chocolate Poisoning

After eating chocolate, your dog will often show signs of chocolate poisoning anywhere from six to twelve hours later. Chocolate poisoning poses a more significant threat of unexpected death in older dogs and dogs with preexisting cardiac issues. The following is a list of the symptoms, some of which might continue for up to three days:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Collapse and death

Do This If Your Dog Ate Chocolate?

Whether you observe your dog eating chocolate or have reason to believe that they have, you should not wait to see if they show any indications of poisoning. Put in an instant call to your veterinarian. When given treatment right away, a dog has a better chance of fully recovering without complications.

If your regular veterinarian is unavailable, you should contact the local emergency veterinary clinic or the pet poison hotline. These experts will guide you through everything you need to accomplish step by step.

When you take your dog to the veterinarian for a possible chocolate overdose, you must have the package with you or snap a photo of it to show the veterinarian. The treatment will often change based on how long the chocolate has been in the dog’s system.

How To Stop Your Dog From Eating Chocolate?

You can do several things to make your house safer for your dog and protect him from the poisonous effects of chocolate.

Perfect Storage

If you have any form of chocolate in your house, you should always be careful about how you store it and how probable your pet will attempt to get into it. Chocolate may be toxic to animals. Whether you keep brownies, cookies, bars of milk chocolate, or cocoa powder in your kitchen and pantry, you must always store these items in a safe location that is out of your pet’s reach so that they do not become a hazard.

Keep the doors of the cupboards and pantries closed as much as possible, and never leave chocolate goodies or wrappers lying about.


You must teach your dog or cat the “leave it” command to keep them from grabbing things they shouldn’t, whether those objects are edible. When your dog is young, teaching them proper manners and obedience is more accessible, saving you a lot of hassle in the future.

Inform Friends & Family

It’s good knowledge that children will give their pocket money to their pets. Instruct them not to offer your dog any chocolate or other treats, and ingrain in them the habit of putting things away in the appropriate compartments or spaces.

Be careful to instill in them the habit of securing the doors and drawers of cupboards and the refrigerator as soon as they use them.

Avoid Using Any Form Of Cocoa Shell Mulch

Cocoa shell mulch is an uncommon but deadly cause of chocolate poisoning in dogs. Dogs may be enticed by the pleasant scent of the mulch, which is often used as a top cover for gardens. If the dogs consume any of the mulch, it may make them sick.

Types of Chocolate and Their Risk Levels

Chocolate has a wide range of theobromine and caffeine content, depending on the kind of chocolate. The following is a rundown of the many sorts and the risks that they represent to dogs:

Dark Chocolate and Baker’s Chocolate

Chocolate kinds considered to be pure, such as dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate, have more significant quantities of these compounds. As a result, these chocolate varieties are considered more hazardous for dogs than other forms of chocolate. These chocolates are often used in baking and cooking, so pet owners should exercise more care when dealing with dark chocolate.

Milk Chocolate

Even while milk chocolate has lower levels of theobromine and caffeine per ounce, it is still capable of causing severe sickness if sufficient amounts are consumed. To avoid the dog eating any candy, keep milk chocolate treats out of their reach.

Chocolate Blanche

White chocolate is not nearly as hazardous as other types of chocolate since it contains almost no theobromine or caffeine and is far less processed.

Milk and white chocolate have lower quantities of theobromine and caffeine than dark chocolate, but they have much greater sugar and fat levels. These components, although not necessarily harmful on their own, have the potential to irritate the gastrointestinal tract and bring off severe disorders such as pancreatitis.

Final Words!

In conclusion, chocolate is toxic to dogs and can be dangerous if ingested. Theobromine, a compound found in chocolate, can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, rapid heartbeat, and even death in severe cases. We explained in detail what does chocolate to do dogs in this post.

It is important to keep chocolate out of dogs’ reach and seek veterinary attention if a dog is suspected of consuming chocolate. Owners should also be aware of other foods toxic to dogs, such as grapes, raisins, and nuts. Overall, it is essential to be mindful of the potential dangers to dogs and take necessary precautions to keep them safe.